photo

Rail Europe

Travel Expert

Statistics

Comments
Views

Tags

votes

Is EN236 (Venice to Vienna night train) included under an Austria-Hungary Eurail pass?

Hi folks,

We are family of four - 2 x adults, 1 x 11 y-o, 1 x 13 y-o.

In June-July this year, we are travelling:

1. Venice - Vienna 1st class sleepers overnight on EN236
  2. Vienna - Budapest
  3. 2-3 days travel around Hungary
  4. Budapest - Vienna
  5. Vienna - Salzburg
  6. Salzburg - Vienna

We are thinking of buying an Austria-Hungary Eurail pass, for maybe 6 days.

As EN236 is run by OBB, would our first leg on EN236 be covered under the Eurail pass?

AND, as the train leaves Venice at 20:57, would we qualify for the "7pm rule" i.e. the Eurail pass would not be stamped for first day until we arrive in Vienna in the morning?

Thanks!!

Official Answer
photo Travel Expert
Rail Europe Posted 5 years ago

Hello Les,

Thanks for your question.

As you are traveling extensively within Austria and Hungary, I suggest that you purchase a Eurail Austria -Hungary Pass.

However for your travel on the direct Euronight train from Venice to Vienna you would have purchase point to point tickets as follows:

- Venice to Vienna - Euronight train

With a Eurail Austria -Hungary Pass you can avail of unlimited travel on the national rail of Austria and Hungary.

Passes can be purchased up to 6 months before your first day of travel. The pass must be validated within 6 months from the original date of issue.

Reservations are mandatory on high-speed trains, night trains, scenic trains and border crossing trains.

With a Pass the seat reservations will be offered at discounted fares (Pass holder fares).

To book a compulsory seat reservation when using your rail pass , please click here.

You can also refer to our travel magazine Connexion for sample itineraries.

In order to book tickets, please visit our website http://www.raileurope.com.au/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Aamir, Rail Europe Travel Expert

Add Comment

Comments (2)

photo

OK thanks Aamir, that's a bit sad about EN236 not being on the Eurail pass, I thought maybe I had found a big discount! Never mind!

Les.

photo Travel Expert

Hello Les,

Thanks for your reply.

Always happy to help you :)

Have a great journey ahead

Regards,

Aamir, Rail Europe Travel Expert

Leave comment

photo

Attach files...

The file must be a jpg, gif, png, bmp, ico, pdf, doc, rtf, txt, zip or rar no more than 8M

By posting a question, you agree to our terms and conditions. You agree not to post any User Generated Content which is: false, misleading, confidential, abusive, defamatory, obscene, invasive to another person's privacy and racially objectionable. Any infringement will result in the removal of your post.