Natalie Nicholson

shared this question
3 years ago

Reviewed by


Rail Europe

Travel Expert





which pass should i get for Austria and Switzerland

I have a trip coming up shortly and i am very confused in relation to how to travel. We will be going from Zurich airport to the main station in Zurich, the next day to St Anton Austria then 7 days later back to main station Zurich, then to Grindelwald the following day to return to Zurich airport 7 days later. Which pass should i get? Thank you.

Official Answer
photo Travel Expert
Rail Europe Posted 3 years ago

Hello Natalie,

Thank you for the question

You can travel as advised below:

- Zurich airport to St Anton/Arlberg via Zurich: Intercity & Railjet

- Zurich to Grindelwald via Bern and Interlaken: Eurocities & Intercity

For your travel within Switzerland, I suggest you purchase a Swiss Travel Pass.

With a Swiss Travel Pass you can travel free within Switzerland on the STS (Swiss Travel System) network on trains, buses and boats. Also with a Swiss Travel Pass you would get discounts on mountain excursions within Switzerland. This discounts can only be availed locally by showing your Swiss Pass to the ticketing office in Switzerland.

With a Swiss Pass you can travel free within Switzerland on the regional and Intercity trains.

Reservations are mandatory on high-speed trains, night trains, scenic trains and border crossing trains.

With a Pass the seat reservations will be offered at discounted fares (Pass holder fares).

The pass seats can be reserved by clicking on "Seat Reservation“ & feed in the Departure city and the Arrival city along with the travel date and preferred time & the number of passengers (Senior, adults, youth and children), and then click on “search tickets”. Once you do so, you would find the schedules along with the fares.

Please click on the “Fare Details” tab to view details regarding the type of fare, type of seat, whether a reservation is included or not and the After Sales Policy.


Cijie, Rail Europe Travel Expert

Leave comment


Attach files...

The file must be a jpg, gif, png, bmp, ico, pdf, doc, rtf, txt, zip or rar no more than 8M

By posting a question, you agree to our terms and conditions. You agree not to post any User Generated Content which is: false, misleading, confidential, abusive, defamatory, obscene, invasive to another person's privacy and racially objectionable. Any infringement will result in the removal of your post.